Button to scroll to the top of the page.
  1. When I apply, do I need to know which practicum I want to do or where I want to be placed?
  2. Why do I have to apply so early? 
  3. Why must I take a lighter class load my practicum semester? 
  4. I do not need 12 hours of coursework to graduate, but need to take 12 hours for financial aid/insurance/ scholarship, etc. Help!
  5. Will I still get a good placement if I have no idea where I want to be placed or what I want to do?
  6. I know exactly where I want to be placed. Can it happen?
  7. May I do my practicum out-of-town?
  8. May I do my practicum out-of-the-country or for Study Abroad?
  9. May I do my placement at a site where I volunteer?
  10. May I do my placement at a site where I work or have worked?
  11. Is the practicum offered in the summer?
  12. When is the best time to take the practicum?  
  13. What about the references?
  14. What information is needed on the degree audit?
  15. What do you need on the application?
  16. Is there a priority for placement?
  17. Should I notify you if I’ve changed my mind about what I want to do since I turned in my application?
  18. I missed the application due date.  Yikes!  
  19. Are special courses needed for certain sites? 
  20. Why was I denied?
  21. So I’ve turned in my application. Now What?
  22. Who can I contact for more information?
You do not. Most students are unsure about their practicum or placement.  Students frequently change their mind from research to applied, or vice versa. There is a meeting prior to your practicum semester to discuss the various practicum and sites and for you to indicate your final interest in research or applied.  
Faculty and sites need to be aware of how many students will be available to work on their projects and need to plan for supervision of students.  In addition, it takes an extensive amount of time to go through each application, arrange sites, plan for meetings, and coordinate all that is involved in placement.  Also, certain practicum have an additional application process, and our dates must be prior to the site’s process.  
The practicum is unlike any other class you’ve taken and is considered a professional appointment.  The applied is 20 hours per week, plus additional outside work, and the research is 10 hours per week.  Placement is dependent on your schedule availability. Additionally, it is a very stressful semester if you are working and/or have a heavy class load and it can impede your success at your site.  It is recommended that you take no other classes with the applied practicum; students are denied admittance if their course load exceeds 12 hours, including the practicum.  For research, it is recommended that students limit their class load to 12 hours; taking over 12 hours requires the professor’s permission.   
The practicum coordinator has a letter for insurance and scholarship purposes that states The University requests you take no other classes your applied practicum semester.   Most students have had success with this, but there is no guarantee.  It is recommended that you confirmed it is approved.  This letter is not valid for financial aid. Please talk with your financial aid advisor about your practicum semester and taking less than 12 hours. 
Yes; many students have no idea. Many sites are utilized that have extremely competent supervisors and professors. We work diligently with everyone to make sure there is a good fit.  
It depends.  The practicum committee or site/research supervisor must also agree.  Additionally, the off-campus site must meet specific requirements and must have completed the legal paperwork that UT requires.  If you are interested in a site, please contact the practicum coordinator at least nine months in advance to seek approval and if necessary, to begin the paperwork process.
Yes. Currently, there are select sites in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Sometimes we are able to offer a remote seminar. If you want a site that is not on the approved list, it is your responsibility to find the site, with coordination from the practicum coordinator.  This must be done a minimum of nine months in advance, as stated above. 
At this time, there is nothing arranged.  However, if you are interested in this option, please talk to the Practicum Coordinator at least nine months in advance of placement.  The Practicum Committee will work with you to try to ensure your success.
Sometimes.  Several factors come into play: 1) Does the site have practicum paperwork with HDF and UT; if not, can it be generated in time for your practicum semester?  2) Your duties must be different; the placement cannot be an extension of the duties you currently hold as a volunteer; and 3) Is it really wise for you?  If you already have the site on your resume, it might make better professional sense for you to go to a new site, adding depth and experience to your resume. The Practicum Committee must approve any site where you currently volunteer and want to extend into your practicum semester.  
You are not allowed to be placed at a site where you have previously worked, nor are you allowed to receive pay from your site during your practicum semester.  This includes mixing your practicum hours with paid hours, even if in a different department.   
Only HDF 355 is offered in the summer. It is usually only offered long session, since it still must total 140 hours, and students are limited to one HDF 355.  You may only take one other class each summer session with your HDF 355, unless you receive permission from your faculty supervisor. The applied practicum is not offered in the summer.  
It is best to take the applied practicum your last semester, excluding summer school.  HDF 355 can be started as soon as you have had statistics, HDF 315L and your entry level HDF classes that are required to transfer in as a major.  Priority for placement is given to students who need HDF 355 to graduate; however, there are usually spots available for committed, academically strong undergraduates.  For the research practicum, the prerequisites can be waved for very academically strong underclassmen.
There are two reference forms attached to the application.  A separate letter is neither wanted nor encouraged. One reference MUST be completed by an HDF faculty member (including Lab School) or TA.  The other form can be from volunteering, work, HDF or UT faculty, etc. please do not submit references from family members, roommates, or friends. Provide your reference with an envelope with the practicum coordinator’s name (Mary Jane Burson) and mail code (A2702) if they are on-campus, or an addressed and stamped if the individual is off campus. (All required information is on the reference form).  Many references will not complete the form unless you sign the top of the form, waiving your rights of access to the reference, meaning it is confidential.  Usually, the person completing the reference sends them in separately from the application.
Submit your latest, printable degree audit that includes next semester’s registered classes but not future planned classes.   Please ensure that the degree audit is readable (not too big, too small, or too haphazard on the page), shows courses taken and missing courses, states your GPA,  your correct catalog year and option in HDF, and has your name and the date computer generated.  Please be sure all transfer credits are on your transcript.   Handwrite directly on the degree audit when you will take missing classes. 
The HDF practicum is a course required for graduation with a degree in HDFS; if you meet the requirements for the practicum (GPA, coursework required, materials turned in by due date, favorable references, accurate degree audit, graduation date) then you are accepted.  The information on the application is helpful if sites ask for certain information.  Students who turn in their application early or in fancy envelopes do not have priority; please fill in the application thoroughly and honestly, not attaching additional papers.  Please write all answers in the space provided. 
All accepted students interview at sites of their choice.  Sites and students both must agree it is a good fit.  There is a required meeting  held mid-semester before your placement, where a site list is distributed and instructions are given on the process for applied and research.  
There is no need unless you change from applied to research or vice versa.  A lot can happen in nine months to change your focus and goals.  Please do notify the practicum coordinator about email and phone changes.
Late applications are not accepted.  If you missed the due date, please talk with your advisor and apply for the following semester.    If you have been recruited for HDF 355 by a professor, please contact the practicum coordinator about a shortened application process. 
Yes:  Early Childhood Intervention, Child Life, and The UT Priscilla P. Flawn Child and Family Lab have special coursework, prerequisites and/or applications.   Additionally, if you are seeking the Provisional CFLE, there are certain sites that are a better fit.  Students with a GPA above a 3.00 have priority for the research practicum.  See the applied practicum page for specific requirements.
Often, it is because one reference is still missing, information on the application is unclear, or the degree audit is unreadable, has no date or name, or lacks transfer credits or classes that the student has petitioned.  Usually, correcting the missing materials allows acceptance.  However, if your GPA is below a 2.00, you have not met certain prerequisites, or you lack too many hours to graduate, your application will be deferred to another semester. 
Here is the time line:  
  • Submit your application, with a degree audit,  by December 1 for the following summer (for HDF 355) and fall and by May 1 for the following spring
  • Give your reference forms, with addressed, stamped envelopes,  to your references at least two weeks prior to the due date
  • Approximately one month after the due date, you will receive notification, via email, about your acceptance or denial.  If denied, you will receive recommendations based on the information provided on your application; many times, turning in a new degree audit or additional information allows acceptance.
  • Mid-semester prior to your practicum semester, you will be emailed and notified about a required meeting where different practicum options and sites will be discussed.  At this time, you decide if you want the research or applied practicum. 
  • After the meeting, you will begin the interview and placement process.
  • By the end of the semester, you will know where you will spend your practicum semester.