Button to scroll to the top of the page.




The Department of Human Development and Family Sciences has a long-standing tradition of offering undergraduate students experiential learning opportunities in research labs, through community partnerships, and at the Priscilla Pond Flawn Child and Family Laboratory (UT Lab School). 

Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree or a Bachelor of Science and Arts degree under the 18-20 catalog or later requires 6-credit hours of Research or Field Practicum coursework in order to graduate. Students can meet this requirement with:

  • 2 consecutive semesters of the Research Practicum through HDF 355R in the fall, spring, or summer of their junior or senior year
  • 1 semester of Field Practicum through HDF 652F or 652P (if placed at the UT Lab School) in only the fall or spring of their senior year

Please contact your academic advisor in the SoHE Advising Center, call 512-471-7219, or go to GEA 37 if you are uncertain of your requirements.

Admission is by application only and filed with the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences. Advising will send an email to HDFS students each semester with more information, but deadlines are: 

  • November 1 for Field Practicum enrollment in the following fall semester
  • April 15 for Field Practicum enrollment in the following spring semester 
  • Research Practicum enrollment occurs one 1 semester in advance. Deadlines are in March and September.

Please read the webpages in the tab to the left that are specifically related to the Field Practicum, Research Practicum, and Application Process.