Historical Textiles and Apparel Collection
Over five thousand apparel and textile artifacts make up the Historical Textiles and Apparel Collection. The artifacts include an 1820s bodice, the Santa Anna Serape, a rare tiered Capucci, Texas presentation gowns, and garments representing outstanding women of Texas. Sub-Collections include:
- The Jean Andrews Ethnic Textiles and Apparel Collection
- The Jean Andrews Ethnic Folk Art Collection and Archives
- The Zack Carr Archives
- The Frankie Welch Archives
- The Inez Cline Hodson Collection
- The Arnold Scaasi Collection
- The Marialice and Robin Shivers Collection
Because it is a teaching collection, undergraduate students assist in managing the artifacts, conserving the garments and conducting research. Research opportunities have included a joint project with the Harry Ransom Center’s Gone With the Wind garments, analysis of weighted silk fibers in an 1880s bodice, oral histories of Texas Women and historical paper dolls.
The School of Human Ecology offers students the very rare opportunity of planning and installing exhibits in a permanent exhibit space in historical Gearing Hall.