Getting Started–Prospective Undergraduate Students

All prospective undergraduate and graduate students must first apply for admission to the University of Texas at Austin before applying to the specific programs in your major area of interest.

If you are a first-time freshman or a transfer student, you can find more information about applying to The University of Texas at Austin at the Office of Admissions.

If you would like to learn more about what being a School of Human Ecology student is like, our School of Human Ecology Ambassadors are happy to answer your questions.

If you are interested in applying to the School of Human Ecology’s honors programs as an entering freshman, please make certain that when you complete your on-line application, that you check the box for Honors Programs. When you indicate your interest in honors programs, you will then receive application and program materials (If you don’t check the box, you will not receive application materials).

International undergraduate students (both freshmen and transfers) should contact the International Undergraduate Center (part of the Office of Admissions) for application information.

Welcome to The University of Texas at Austin. Your academic adviser will have answers to many of your questions. If you have been admitted to the College of Natural Sciences, you can find your assigned academic adviser (usually after the first two weeks of classes for any given semester). Still have questions? Answers to many of those questions can be found at the College of Natural Sciences’ First Year Advising Center. Not finding what you need? Please call the School of Human Ecology Advising Center at +1 (512) 471-7219, and we will find the answers you seek.

Getting Started–Transfer Students

Welcome to The University of Texas at Austin! You have worked hard to get here, and we want to make sure that you are able to hit the ground running.

The Office of Admissions is a tremendous resource for transfer students. The Office of Admissions offers information and services for planning your enrollment at The University of Texas at Austin. The College of Natural Sciences (the college that houses the School of Human Ecology) has special application requirements and admission restrictions. You can learn more about those requirements and restrictions here.

Please take a moment to check the university’s automated transfer equivalency system (ATE), a searchable database of nearly 300,000 transfer credit evaluations for courses at Texas colleges and universities. You can plan your coursework at other institutions to ensure transfer credit. Current University of Texas at Austin students can use the ATE system to help plan taking coursework elsewhere.

Getting Started–Changing Colleges

If you would like to transfer from one college to another within The University of Texas at Austin, this is called an internal transfer. You can find out more at the Center for Strategic Advising.

Having difficulty finding a major that works for you? There are resources available to help you find your way.

Getting Started–Graduate Students

Graduate students will find more information about the admissions process, requirements, and deadlines at The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School. For more specific information about the application process or for information about our degree offerings, please feel free to contact our graduate coordinators who are here to help guide you through the application process:

Eileen Drake
Graduate Coordinator, Human Development and Family Sciences
SEA 2.412
+1 (512) 475-8065

Elizabeth Gershoff, Ph.D.
Graduate Adviser, Human Development and Family Sciences
SEA 2.456
+1 (512) 471-4800

Kathy McWilliams
Graduate Coordinator, Nutritional Sciences
PAI 5.20A
+1 (512) 471-0337

Jaimie N. Davis
Graduate Adviser, Nutritional Sciences
PAI 3.26
+1 (512) 471-0971

Tiffany Swonke
Academic Program Coordinator, Textiles and Apparel
GEA 110
+1 (512) 471-0941

Bugao Xu, Ph.D.
Graduate Adviser, Textiles and Apparel
GEA 225
+1 (512) 471-7226